Before we get into it, I have dry/oily skin, prone to acne (well, I used to be anyway!)
When i was a teenager, I GREAT skin. I got a few pimples here and there, one mainly on the side of my nose (awkward) but for the most part, I never had much issue. So lucky.
Queue my 20's and horrible, horrible skin. Well, really, it started when I was 19. I was partying ALOT. Drinking, smoking (so naughty), a horrible diet in conjunction with shift work and therefore a very shitty sleeping pattern. My face was a mess. I started getting cystic acne on my cheeks, constant breakouts on my forehead and chin. I remember having a pimple on my cheek so bad that one of the older ladies at work asked me if I had been bitten by a mosquito on my face. Nope, just a pimple (and how rude by the way!)
My solution at the time? Dry the shit out of my face. Use all the acne products! I went through proactiv, murad, clearasil, benzac, mario badescu.. All of them. And while they worked for a time, I was in a constant uphill battle with my skin. I was sad. I just wanted to not have a pizza on my forehead, and stop having big sore pimples on my jawline and chin. Any time I ran out of my flavour-of-the-month-acne-killer "moisturiser", I would just use the plain old pink olay moisturiser, or johnson and johnson... I always thought it really weird how my skin would turn so lovely when I started using these. heh. And then stupidly back to my dry dry drying routine I went (yeah, it took a while for the penny to drop...) By this time, I was in my very late 20's and just pissed off.
It was time to start making changes.
- Hydration: The drying didn't work, so I tried the exact opposite, ALL THE MOISTURE! I started using rich creams, serums and oils, basically just not drying the shit out of my face any longer. I also focused on my water intake, aiming for 3 litres every day. I also started using an active charcoal mask - every third day when my skin was purging, and now around 1-2 times a week.
- Diet: I had started clean eating as a way to lose some more weight, but the improvement my diet had on my skin, I can't even begin to explain. Pimples just went, and didn't come back. I know now if I eat too much shitty processed foods, drink too much alcohol or even just don't drink as much water as I should, it literally shows up all over my face. Like, really really.I'd love to tell you how much I exercise and how wonderful it is and has been for my skin and blah blah blah.... Truth be told, I get a lot of incidental exercise, but I've been really lazy over the last 6 months and I don't actually do any intentional exercise (I really need to get back on that band wagon!)
- Future Proofing: More recently, as I've been freaking out a little about looking old, and I've started to incorporate chemical exfoliants (AHA's and BHA's) and physical sunscreen into my skincare routine - thanks Zoe Foster Blake for making all the sense,
and scaring the shit out meI've now started reaping the benefits of those bad boys (and so has the back of my hands, just FYI - no wrinkly old looking hands here!)
The point of all this?! My HG Products for taking care of my skin!
- Ren Rosa Centifolia No. 1 Purity Cleansing balm. Purchased from Mecca Cosmetica.
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream. Purchased from Kiehls.
- Invisible Zinc Environmental Skin Protector. Purchased from Priceline.
- Trilogy Organic Rosehip Oil. Purchased from Priceline.
- Aesop Fabulous Face Oil. Purchased from Aesop.
- Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate. Purchased from Kiehls.
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil. Purchased from Priceline.
- Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask. Purchased from Kit Cosmetics.
- Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads. Purchased from Kit Cosmetics.
The PTR and Origins are my #1's in terms of fighting any pimple that dare show it's ugly head! Everything else is very much focused on keeping my skin hydrated, wrinkle free and decongested.
Daily Routine - Night
- Cleanse with Ren cleansing balm
- After shower, apply a mix of Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate and Trilogy rosehip oil to my face and neck area, and allow to absorb (I usually moisturise my body during this time.) Sometimes I add in a drop of the Fabulous Face oil if pimples are looming
- Follow with Kiehls ultra facial cream
Daily Routine - Morning
- Wash face with warm water and face cloth
- Apply a mix of Nuxe dry oil and Aesop Fabulous Face oil to my face and neck area, and allow to absorb (I usually get my clothes ready for work)
- Follow with Kiehls ultra facial cream and allow to absorb
- Apply sunscreen - because I use a physical sunscreen, I can apply at this point. For chemical sunscreen you'll need to apply it first. To learn more, check out Zoe's/Fruity Beauty's great blog post on the matter
- Makeup and what not as usual
Twice a week I switch up my nighttime routine - it tends to be the night I was my hair. I cleanse with Kiehls ultra facial cleanser, apply my origins mask when I get out of the shower and leave that on until it dries, dries like a glam glow mask! I leave it for as long as possible. Once removed, I do my chemical exfoliation - to my face, neck and backs of hands! Then go through my oil & moisturising combo.
Here's a quick before and after. The top row is me, at 8:30pm with the remaining make up of the day on. The bottom is me, post shower and nighttime routine. I tried as best as I could to match the lighting.
This is in indirect light in my bathroom. I have a leftover blemish or 2 from my whoremoans, booooo!
And here's how hot I look with my Origins mask on, awwwwwww yeah baby! (Have scared the shit out of boyfriend with this before...)
I'd love to hear your experiences and go to products for keeping your skin lovely! Any tips on good ways to keep the wrinkles away are also very much appreciated!
|Excuse the creepo leering looks... O_O|
|Selfie in the bathroom, like all the cool kids do!|
|All the gross pore stuff! I love this mask, so, so, SO GOOD.|